Tuesday, February 24, 2009

Movie Review: Coraline

The Best Things:

Coraline was visually fantastic! I saw the movie in 3-D and it was absolutely beautiful. The story was dark and creepy (as all good children's stories are). Even the animation itself was creeptastic!! It sort-of looked like a cartoon version of The Nightmare Before Christmas (which makes sense since it had the same director).

The Worst Things:

The movie didn't seem to have a lot of energy. It was beautiful to watch and the story was interesting but there wasn't that added umpf of something-or-other to push it above and beyond. Rather then being on the edge of my seat waiting to see what would happen next, I found myself thinking, "Is something going to happen soon?"

Overall:

I would recommend seeing it to friend. Especially, a friend with a child. While some of the reviews I read claimed that the movie was too scary for a child, I didn't see that as a problem at all. It was dark, but not dark enough to drive a kid to nightmares (unless the kid was already unstable in some way).

Mangy Squirrel Rating: 3 1/2 out of 5 acorns.

1 comment:

Foozman said...

Nice review, thanks!